Children’s Rights & Religion
- No legal protection for kids in faith-healing families: why most states sanction religion-based child sacrifice via Atheists for Human Rights
- Faith Healing: Religious Freedom vs. Child Protection via Science Based Medicine
- When healing turns into killing: religious and philosophical exemptions from parental accountability via Science Based Medicine
- Cases of Childhood Deaths Due to Parental Religious Objection to Necessary Medical Care via MassKids.org
- The New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 309, No. 26, pp. 1639-41. 23 December 1983. No Exemption for Failed Faith Heating
- Religious Child Abuse By Dr. Seth Asser November 2, 2002 via NoSpank.net
- Christian Science Healing of Minor Children: Spiritual Exemption Statutes, First Amendment Rights, and Fair Notice Issues in Law & Medicine , Vol. 10, No. 3 (preview)
- “A License to Kill” via Freedom From Religion Foundation
Groups working to make change
Child Friendly Faith
The Child-Friendly Faith Project is a national, nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charity whose mission is to end child abuse and neglect that is enabled by certain ideologies and a lack of understanding of child development. We carry out our mission by educating the public about the impact that religious, spiritual, and cultural beliefs and practices have on children.
The CFFP exposes child abuse and neglect that takes place in faith communities and supports faith communities’ efforts to nurture children and keep them safe. We do not promote or criticize any particular belief system. Rather, we examine the positive and negative ways that belief systems and religious and cultural practices affect children’s lives. via http://childfriendlyfaith.org/mission
- Child Friendly Faith on YouTube
- A survivor of religious child maltreatment becomes an advocate for children who suffer today via http://childfriendlyfaith.org/
Children’s Healthcare is a Legal Duty
The mission of Children’s Healthcare Is a Legal Duty is to end child abuse or neglect related to religion, cultural practices, or quackery through public education, research, legal action, and a limited amount of lobbying. via http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=28
- (C.H.I.L.D) http://childrenshealthcare.org/
- Bell, Bonnie. “Their Baby’s Death Provokes Doug and Rita Swan to a Holy War on Christian Science.” PEOPLE.com. People Magazine, 31 Mar. 1980.
- Fraser, Caroline. “Suffering Children and the Christian Science Church.” The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, Apr. 1999.
- Margolick, David. “In Child Deaths, a Test for Christian Science.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 05 Aug. 1990.
- Sataline, Suzanne. “A Child’s Death And a Crisis for Faith.” The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company, 12 June 2008.
Dr. Rita Swan at the Child Friendly Faith Project Conference 2013
Sean Faircloth Discusses Children Harmed by “Faith-healing” with Liz Heywood