The holiday season can be trying, so in the spirit of keeping the “fun” back in “dysfunctional” I’m sharing a few things which are making my days a little brighter and more merry (other than the pint of gelato in the freezer and bottles of cheer chilling in the garage). Also, this post kicks off a lull in blogging and activity that will likely last through the end of the year (or at the very least until after the winter solstice).
Blog posts & articles that made me smile:
- Secular Christmas via PhD in Parenting
- the twitter hashtag
#WhyDoAtheistsCelebrateChristmas – the question they should be asking is why are Christians celebrating the Winter Solstice? God hates idols and festive holiday trees see Jeremiah 10:1-15 although some people disagree with this reading of the Bible – he also has the “top 10 reasons not to attend Christmas parties.“
- Starstuff, Contemplating, by Jon Cleland Host: “Evolutionary Parenting and the Holidays” via Humanistic Paganism
- The Pressure to be Merry via Madcap CS
- The Ways a Toy Can Suck for a Parent
- Choir of Silent Monks
- The real reason for the season
- Top 10 Reasons why you shouldn’t let the Elf on the Shelf into your home for the Holidays
Doing good for others this holiday season:
- Rage Against the Minivan’s Christmas Gifts that Give Back
- St. Jude’s Recycled Card Program
- The Bloggess’ Accidentally doing good things
- Heifer International buy your loved on a lama!
- Charity Navigator
Krampus (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus)
A few festive YouTube videos!
- The Piano Guys Angels we have heard on High music video
What is helping you cope with the Holidays this year?
And a PSA about Holiday Hazards!