Ms. Eddy claims Science and Health with Key to the Scripture was divinely inspired and that her only source was the Bible (see below).
With that in mind, I will now inform you that the passages below come from the following sources:
- Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy
- Quimby Manuscript by Horatio Dresser
- The Leiber Document found in Mrs. Eddy Purloins from Hegel (1936) by Walter M. Haushalter
I challenge you, dear readers, to sort out who wrote what — please share your answers in the comments. The correct answers will be shared in due time.
Please note I have temporarily suspended the requirement for a name/e-mail address when commenting so that “anonymous” commenters may speculate freely on the passages below. All comments will be moderated.
1) The contrast of good and evil is destroyed in God who is the only true reality. Since nothing is real and eternal, nothing is Spirit, but God and His Idea, evil has no reality. If God is admitted to be the only Mind and Life, there ceases to be any opportunity for evil.
2) Man is the expression of God’s being. If there ever was a moment when man did not express the divine perfection, then there was a moment when man did not express God, and consequently a time when Deity was unexpressed – that is, without entity.
3) Thus it is set forth that man is the supreme Idea born of Mind.
4) Eternal life is Christ or Science, this teaches us that matter is a mere shadow of substance which the natural man never saw nor can see, for it is never changed, is the same today and forever.
5) Since, then, man is the Idea of His principle, and the image and likeness of intelligent life, substance, and Spirit, he is beyond the reach of death. In the Science of Being nothing can harm or destroy him.
6) Man’s true consciousness is in the mental, not in any bodily or personal likeness to Spirit. Indeed, the body presents no proper likeness of divinity, though mortal sense would fain have us so believe.
7) Truth, Life and Love are God, the Soul of the universe and man, and the only substance of intelligence.
8) As disease is in accordance with the laws of man, a penalty is attached to every act so that everyone found guilty must be punished by the law.
9) God is infinite, the only Life, substance, Spirit or Soul, the only intelligence of the universe including man.
10) One of these elements is governed by Wisdom, the other by error, and as all belief is in this world of darkness, the truth comes in and explains the error.
For more on those claims, you can read the article entitled Mary Baker Eddy: Author by Peter J. Henniker-Heaton, From the June 1966 issue of The Christian Science Journal, http://journal.christianscience.com/shared/view/144gukeifl2?s=cs
Answers to Ms. Eddy’s Inspiration Round 1 (January 15, 2014)
1) Purloins from Hegel p. 57, 2) MBE Science & Health p. 470:23-28, 3) Purloins from Hegel p. 78, 4) Quimby Manuscript p. 587, 5) Purloins from Hegel p. 79, 6) MBE Science &Health p. 302 26-30, 7) Purloins from Hegel p. 85, 8) Quimby Manuscript p. 590, 9) MBE Science & Health p. 330:11-12, 10) Quimby Manuscript p. 590
Works Cited – these sources are readily available online with a simple google search
Eddy, Mary Baker. Science and Health: With Key to the Scriptures. Boston, MA: First Church of Christ, Scientist, 1994.
Haushalter, Walter Milton, and Francis Lieber. Mrs. Eddy Purloins from Hegel: A Newly Discovered Source Reveals Amazing Plagiarisms in Science and Health. Boston: A.A. Beauchamp, 1936.
Quimby, P. P., and Horatio W. Dresser. The Quimby Manuscripts, Showing the Discovery of Spiritual Healing and the Origin of Christian Science. New York: T. Y. Crowell, 1921.