Welcome Ms. Eddy’s Inspiration Round 3 (for all posts on this topic see the MBE Inspiration tag). Answers to Ms. Eddy’s Inspiration Round 2 are now up.
As noted in Rounds 1 and 2, Ms. Eddy claims Science and Health with Key to the Scripture was divinely inspired and that her only source was the Bible, I have drawn from a variety of sources to compile the passages below. What work is hers? I’ll let you try and sort that out.
- Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy (the 1875 and 1994 editions)
- Quimby Manuscript by Horatio Dresser
- The Leiber Document found in Mrs. Eddy Purloins from Hegel (1936) by Walter M. Haushalter
** Please note I have temporarily allowed “anonymous” commenting. All first-time comments will be moderated. **
1) The time will come when the true God will be worshipped in spirit and truth, for God is a Spirit and not a man.
2) Matter is not the medium through which Spirit acts, or is manifested. Spirit is never individualized, and there is no medium for it. Spirit is infinite, because it is Intelligence, what then can limit it? Again, to Spirit Intelligence alone is Substance, and there is no matter. If the body was intelligent, it could never return to dust, for mind dies not, and Intelligence never developed from matter.
3) Jesus’ parable of “the sower” shows the care our Master took not to impart to dull ears and gross hearts the spiritual teachings which dulness and grossness could not accept. Reading the thoughts of the people, he said: “Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine.”
4) The unity of God and man is made real by Spirit.
5) He travelled all through the land curing all sorts of diseases, preaching the kingdom of Science, and His fame went everywhere. Great multitudes followed Him and He went up into a higher state or Science and opened His mouth to them in truth or parables.
6) The beauty of matter passes away fading at length into decay and ugliness. But beauty itself is a thing of Life exempt from age or decay and to be this is must be a thing of Spirit.
7) Disease is the offspring of error
8) Matter and its claims of sin, sickness, and death are contrary to God, and cannot emanate from Him. There is no material truth. The physical senses can take no cognizance of God and spiritual Truth.
9) there is no truth, substance, life or intelligence in matter; all is infinite Mind. Thus matter has no reality; it is only the manifestation of Spirit.
10) That Spirit propagates matter or matter Spirit, is morally impossible.
3 thoughts on “Ms. Eddy’s Inspiration Round 3”
On seeing the sources, just a quick note. The Hegel writings as a source was proved false. It was a blackmail scheme produced by a Dr. Divine to get money from the Mother Church.
Awesome. Do you happen to have a source? I don’t doubt the bias in my source — it does sound a bit “too good to be true” — I’m just curious to know yours. I’m also skeptical that MBE didn’t borrow anything from Hegel as she seems to have drawn inspiration from a variety of not-so-divine sources.
I think you made your point that the Bible was not her only source or inspiration. In fact, most of the thinking that the quotes reflect would never be found in the Bible and even contradict it.
Comments are closed.